Friday, March 16, 2012

Apple - The next OS X and Ubuntu 11.10

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - Developer Preview 2

Taking some time to work with the Developer Preview 2 of OS X 10.8. It is very quick, stable and reliable. It seems able to handle a number of activities without unduly taxing a late 2008 MacBook 13" with 4GB of RAM.

This preview is bringing a few of the features of IOS that I've found particularly useful such as reminders, FaceTime, notes, etc. The OS also works well with trackpad gestures. I (may be in a minority) like the Notification Center on IOS and I am enjoying it on Mountain Lion. It's becoming a timesaver on my IOS devices; helping me to filter what is important from what isn't. I imagine it will perform a similar function on my OS X devices too.
More information about features including iCloud Safari tabs and Twitter integration.
Read what Apple has to say...

(disclosure statement: I own a very few shares of APPL - I wish I'd never sold the ones I bought for $15 but I had to pay bills.)


Ubuntu - Linux 11.10 - Free, Easy, Useful Open-Source
Possibly paradoxically, I'm also working a fair amount with Ubuntu 11.10. Ubuntu is one of the most popular flavors of the open-source Linux operating system.

I find that Ubuntu does a lot of what any other OS needs to do. While it's not (to me) as attractive and polished as OS X, it's pretty smooth, fast, and not hardware resource intensive. It is a whole lot more pleasant to me to use Ubuntu than any flavor  of Windows. One of the great strengths of this OS is that one can breath new life into machines that might otherwise be destined for the recycling heap. 

I've tried installing Ubuntu 12.04 beta with the sometimes acclaimed, sometimes maligned heads-up display but since I'm running on a virtual machine, I've run into problems getting it working and may have to wait for a stable release.



No comments:

Post a Comment