Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Turn blogs into e-publications

ZINEPAL

I have to write briefly about an emerging technology that I recently used and am just entranced with. Zinepal is a web-based service that allows the blogger to publish blogs as e-publications and in formats that can be read by a variety of e-pub readers.

As an experiment, I had Zinepal turn this blog into a publication and downloaded it in epub format to iBooks on my iPad. I could also have downloaded as a Kindle compatible file or as a pdf. The results were exciting. The Zinepal website offers some basic formatting features and the epub that I received was searchable with live weblinks. Here's an animation made with another great app, Hype, that shows what the e book looked like.

The service provides free, one-time without advertising, and full access at different prices for different periods of time. It's definitely worth taking a look.

The educational scenario that I envisioned after using it the first time involved having an elementary class studying an academic unit, each class member would produce a blog entry for the unit, then the blog could be turned into an e-publication for sharing with parents and for a class/school library of student work.

Here's the link to my Reflections on Emerging Technologies blog-epub...

No comments:

Post a Comment